How I Became an Illustrator

 

I just illustrated my first children's book Ant Trails and Butterfly Dreams -- A Story About Happiness by Selwa Berbawy Hamati. Many people don't know I am a painter. I didn't start painting though with the intention to become an illustrator. I began painting for mental health. After a few years of incredible stress, I wanted to find something to do that was just for me. I had studied art and painted many years prior. I decided to revisit the hobby, and my work evolved into my own visual voice.

Let's discuss for a moment that thing called visual voice ... it's a distinct visual style that announces to the world, this is X artist. You recognize famous artists like Picasso or Rembrandt for their visual style. When you're trying to make your work visually unique and different, you want to develop an easily recognizable style.

My style developed over time. I love painting the natural world, and I'm not skilled or even enjoy painting people. So, I go through phases of painting different subject matter. For about a year, I painted birds in their environments. 

I've been asked to do some showings of my work, but I felt uncomfortable putting it out there for any kind of comment or critique. I didn't want anything negative to blemish what I did to keep emotionally balanced and feel at peace. However, I did enjoy showing friends and associates -- and this is what led to my illustrating my first children's book, Ant Trails and Butterfly Dreams (you can buy a copy by clicking here). This project encouraged me to do more professional work. I am now working on a book cover. 


I'm promoting the book and sending it to book reviewers. If you would like a copy to review, please send me an email to info@3LPublishing.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?