352 Day Nutritional Challenge: Recipe #15 - Chicken Eggplant Stir Fry

 

Today's recipe comes from my simple desire to create an eggplant dish. Eggplant is one of those vegetables that absorbs the seasoning in a way that it makes it taste almost like a meal in and of itself. Many vegetarians use eggplant as the main item on the plate, much like a piece of meat. 

In fact, I had never eaten eggplant until many years ago when I dated a vegetarian who prepared the best eggplant. I couldn't say how he prepared it (30 years ago, mind you), but it tasted delicious. So, when I think about eggplant, I am reminded of that meal. 

And as I am doing this Challenge with all of you coming along for the fun, I am constantly seeking new inspiration for recipes. If you're ever stumped and don't know what to make, go to the produce aisle and look at all of the wonderful vegetables for inspiration. I sometimes forget all of the amazing choices (and some seasonal, of course). 

If you've come this far in the Challenge, you may be starting to experience the benefits. I find my head is clearer when I wake up in the morning. I have more energy, and I don't feel that kind of bogged-down heaviness you feel from eating fatty foods and sugar. I have a pleasant sense of well-being, too. I'm not as moody either! My digestion has improved, and I have less heartburn. All of those reasons alone make it worth it. 

Let's get back to our meal. I added chicken to the dish, because I'm a meat-eater. In this case, the chicken gave the eggplant a little more flavor since the two ingredients get combined in the wok. Now you can serve the stir fry with pasta or rice (either on the side or with the stir fry poured on top). Many diets exclude carbs or reduce them; however, the Challenge isn't a diet, and I personally can't go without carbs. I go low blood sugar too easily, and carbs keep it steady. Like anything else, don't go crazy eating too many carbs, but also don't exclude them from your lifestyle change. 

INGREDIENTS

1/4 RED ONION

3 GARLIC CLOVES

2 TBSP SUGAR

1 TBSP SOY SAUCE

2 TSP RED PEPPER FLAKES

FRESH GROUND PEPPER

1 TSP SESAME OIL

1 WHOLE EGGPLANT

4 SKINNED CHICKEN BREASTS

1 TBSP OLIVE OIL

1/2 TSP SALT

JASMINE RICE/PREPARED TO INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1 -- cut up all of your meat and vegetables, and finely chop garlic. Cut eggplant into thin slices. Set everything aside.

Step 2 -- take the eggplant and place in a bowl. Add garlic, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Let marinate for 30 minutes before cooking begins.

Step 3 -- lightly coat the bottom of your wok with olive oil. Place chicken strips in the wok and stir accordingly. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. 

Step 4 -- when chicken in white and almost cooked, add the marinated eggplant. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir fry. Make sure the eggplant is cooked all of the way (it won't taste good raw) through. 

Step 5 -- prepare your rice to instructions on the bag. 

Step 6 -- Plate the eggplant and rice together or put the rice on the side. 

Enjoy!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?