352 Day Nutritional Challenge: Recipe #30 - Mama's Potato Salad

 

Every spring and summer, my mom would make her famous potato salad. When I was a kid and a much pickier eater, it was my favorite dish. As I grew up, and I wanted to ask for her to make something special, her potato salad always got requested. 

Now that I'm doing the nutritional challenge, I wanted to make it for the cookbook and immortalize her recipe. What makes Mom's salad so special is she adds hard-boiled eggs. Most salads only add potatoes. I love the addition of the eggs, because it tastes similar to Mom's other specialty, "eggy" sandwiches. I know you're thinking "eggy"? Well, she always called it by that moniker. So, stay tuned for Mama's "Eggy" Sandwich recipe coming soon. 

Mom's home-cooked meals always seemed to be on a rotation -- some I foods I loved, others not so much. She used canned vegetables (it was the era, after all). For the longest time, I hated vegetables -- that is, until I discovered that fresh vegetables taste divine. Thus, the importance of cooking fresh foods; they simply taste better and are better for you.  

 All right, so back to Mama's Potato Salad ... I have never tasted anything close to her recipe except at High Hand Nursery and Restaurant in Loomis, California. They almost got it the same, but not quite. If you want to taste a close second, go and order it. Also, the Nursery is gorgeous! 

INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)

4 RUSSET POTATOS

4 EGGS

1 CAN OF SLICED BLACK OLIVES

2 SLICED DILL PICKLES

1 TBSP DILL PICKLE JUICE 

2 CUPS AVOCADO OIL BASED MAYONAISE

SALT TO TASTE

PEPPER TO TASTE

1/2 CUP CHOPPED RED ONIONS (OPTIONAL)

 1. Boil potatoes for 60 minutes. Use a fork to pierce through skin to see if they are soft and ready.

2. 15 minutes before the potatoes are finished, boil eggs (organic eggs are best). 

3. When the potatoes are soft, remove from pot, and slice into squares, and pour into a big bowl.

4. Do the same for the hard-boiled eggs and pour on top of potatoes.

6. Open can of black olives and dump on top of eggs.

7. Slice up pickles into tiny squares and dump on top of black olives.

8. Take pickle juice and pour over mixture.

9. Take mayonnaise and mix everything together with a spoon.

10. Place bowl covered in the fridge and let chill for about an hour. And there you have it -- Mama's potato salad!

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?