352 Day Nutritional Challenge: Recipe #23 - Bratwurst Egg Delight

 

I admit it's sometimes hard to be creative with these recipes. A helpful tip is to always keep your eye on maintaining the goal of fresh food. Trust me, some days I would rather jump in my car and get takeout (as I'm sure many of you feel the same way). Problem is you can't count on restaurant food not having preservatives, additives or being frozen, processed foods. 

Most notably since I started the Challenge, I've been pleasantly surprised by how others are already on this bandwagon, too. I was pleased while watching Real Time with Bill Mahr on HBO to see he's taken a lead in promoting the same ideas I already have embraced. In fact, if this book had been finished, I would have pitched it to the show.

I have to confess that since I became strict on staying on the guidelines for the Challenge, I've enjoyed many health benefits (and taste treats). I simply don't want to cheat on the program and go backwards. Plus, what kind of example does that set for the rest of you? Not a good one. I just like to acknowledge the advantages I'm enjoying as a testimonial to the value of the Challenge. 

Today's recipe comes from my love of bratwurst. I've always loved bratwurst even when I was a picky eater as a kid. I mostly eat it with sauerkraut. I got inspired to try it with eggs since it goes well with spaetzle, which is made with egg noodles. Since I didn't have the spaetzle maker, I figured I would use some creativity and just go for a scramble. 

INGREDIENTS (2 SERVINGS)

4 EGGS

2 BRATWURST 

1/2 CUP SLICED MUSHROOMS

1/2 CUP GRATED CARROTS

1/2 GARLIC CLOVE

BLACK PEPPER

SALT

1 TBSP OLIVE OIL

1. Crack four eggs in a small bowl and beat. Cut up garlic into tiny pieces. Add garlic, pepper, and dash of salt to the eggs. (I like to cook in the spices vs. add them during cooking).

2. Slice up the bratwurst. Pour olive oil into skillet, add bratwurst and brown each side. 

3. Add carrots and mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds. Then pour eggs into mixture and fold it altogether. I like to break up the eggs so it's more of a scramble than an omelet. Be sure to keep turning over mixture until eggs are thoroughly cooked.

Enjoy!

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?