352 Day Nutritional Challenge: Recipe #2 - Brocolini Bacon Scramble

 

So, today's recipe has my "forbidden" favorite in it -- bacon. Yes, it's true I still eat bacon, and yes, I still lost weight. When you're eating for nutrition and not focused on particulars, it also helps keep you on track. Remember, we're promoting a lifestyle change that makes it easy to live with. As I continue working on this project, you're going to see how everything tastes so yummy and yet it's healthy. 

I have a great grocery shopping tip. Every week make sure you purchase a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, and poultry. Also, stock your cupboards with all kinds of spices. If you're anything like me, you will want the flexibility to find a recipe and cook it on the fly. I like to be creative this way. 

So today's dish is Brocolini Bacon Scramble. I love breakfast burritos, and this is a nice dinner food once you add the brocolini. The best part -- it's super easy to prepare. 

Here's what you'll need for a single serving (you can increase the recipe and double it per person). I cooked for myself on this night.

Ingredients

Olive Oil

Salt 

1/2 Clove of Garlic

Fresh Ground Pepper

1 Cup Brocolini

Lemon Juice (a dash)

3 Eggs (Scrambled)

2 Strips of Bacon (Chopped)

1 Burrito-sized Tortilla

1. Chop up your garlic; beat your eggs; chop up fresh brocolini; and chop small bacon pieces. Set it all aside. Food prep before you begin cooking is essential to being able to effectively time your cooking so everything cooks uniformly and tastes great. You don't want to be doing last-minute chopping.

2. Start cooking your bacon until it's brown in a separate pan.

3. I don't measure out olive oil. I just put in the appropriate amount that seems to work. Some people though need specifics, so let's go for a 1/4 cup of olive oil. 

4. First, put your brocolini, bacon, and garlic in the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring it around. 

5. Take the eggs and pour over the brocolini, and scramble the eggs, continually turning them so the eggs cook evenly and don't turn brown. 

6. Add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Mix it in the scramble. 

7. Either squeeze a fresh lemon over the scramble or splash lemon juice on it. Mix it in.

8. Turn off burner and let the scramble sit for 30 seconds.

9. Pour the scramble right from the pan into the tortilla -- and dinner is served.

Optional: I put hot sauce on my scramble to give it more spice, but it tastes great without it, too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?