Challenges Every Writer Faces

 


Today I wanted to discuss challenges every writer faces. I’m going to discuss them in no particular order or emphasis.
 
Lack of confidence – many writers don’t get published or even try to publish due to a lack of confidence in their talents and skills. I’ve published hundreds of articles and books, and yet I still struggle with confidence in my work. Writing requires readers, and readers can be critical. It can be difficult to put your work in the public eye and not feel sensitive about it. One thing that helps me is to be open to improvement. When someone gives me feedback – and as long as it’s done in a productive manner – I’m open-minded about it and don’t take it personally … anymore. I used to feel like an abject reject lol … age and wisdom have taught me the phrase “it’s all good.”
 
Uncertainty with a story idea and whether or not it will be a commercial success. Over the years, I have learned that when a story is going to be a hit, it will be obvious through one means: a successful logline. If you can distill your idea to a powerful line or two and pitch it to a few friends whose reactions always show on their faces, then you just know. If you have to stumble around and explain it, chances are it won’t be a success. When I say logline, I mean one clear, powerful sentence that encapsulates your idea in seconds. Every project I’ve been able to create that impactful logline has ended up either selling really well or just easily.
 
Trying to rush too fast and not adequately develop your story, characters, thesis, concepts, etc. Whether it’s fiction or nonfiction, inexperienced writers often don’t take the time or apply enough patience to fully developed their ideas. I see this in manuscript submissions mostly from first-time writers. I had one person submit what was nothing more than thinly developed and poorly written “ideas” and not much writing around it. I had to literally “dub” in what this person meant to figure it out. This person also bragged how they had written a book in a week. Yes, indeed it looked like a week’s worth all right. Speed isn’t a bragging point. Careful development and taking your time is a skill and talent, and it doesn’t get done in some sort of self-imposed race. Take your time and enjoy the process.
 
Dealing with the isolation of being a writer. Writing is a solo enterprise unless you are collaborating with a co-author. I co-wrote several projects, and I found it enjoyable. However, if you don’t want to co-write, it means, as noted, you’re alone a lot. I have never had a problem being alone. In fact, I like working alone in the peace and quiet with my kitties. That said, I know other writers who don’t enjoy the isolation of it. If you want to solve it, try finding a writing buddy. Someone you can discuss your work with. A writing buddy can also inspire and give you accountability. 
 
If you're looking for a writing coach or need editing and publishing services, contact Michelle Gamble at info@3LPublishing.com. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

5 Great DIY Tips to Promote Your Book