Writing or Rewriting: what works better?

 


I am focused on writing right now. I had a discussion with a fellow writer about writing and rewriting. She mentioned that authors like James Patterson focus on the rewrites to find the genius in the work. I’m not a Patterson reader so I can’t speak to his work. I mostly get it down in a single draft, which is different from others. I’m naturally not opposed to rewriting, and in some cases, I do revisions. However, for the most part I seem to get it down in the first draft.

In another discussion, one of my friends asked how I managed to get it right the first time. I acknowledged I don’t always get it down, but I would say at least 85 percent of it. As a professional writer, I am the same with my magazine articles. I get a first draft down pretty easily.
 
How do I do it? (And Friend-Os, adopt your own style and what’s right for you.) When I worked in corporate, I almost felt guilty for sitting idle just to think. I am a doer and work hard. So, I don’t like to give the appearance of wasted time. I need quiet time to think it through before I write it down. I used to bill only for time spent writing when I realized it took a lot more time to develop the idea than to write it. Billing for actual time writing it down isn’t a fair representation of the real time it takes.
 
First, I organize my thoughts. What is this chapter or article going to be about? What will be the major plot point made or story transition? I think about it. I sometimes think about it all day (off and on, of course). By the time I sit down and write, my thoughts have already been organized. I know what I’m going to do.
 
Many writers use outlines, but I don’t like outlining anything. I feel that an outline is too rigid and doesn’t allow for the free-flow of new ideas, especially if you stick close to it. I avoid being too closely stuck to a specific point(s). When I write, I say “from creation through me,” which means I allow the story to come to me. I’m not saying I don’t know where it’s going; but the truth is, my plot points can be a question mark in my head up until the moment I execute the idea. I leave room for my own mystery, and what that translates to is mystery and surprise when the story takes unexpected directions for me AND the reader.
 
It’s a bit like the expression, “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.” Therefore, if you surprise even yourself, it’s more likely the reader will be equally as surprised. For example, in One Little Lie, I started writing Chapter 5 and thought it would go one way, but then an idea hit me, and I took it a whole new direction. In basic terms that’s called organic storytelling. The writer allows for the story to unfold in natural ways during the creative process.
 
So, Friend-Os if you want to ditch the outline, try my method as a simple exercise in creativity. You might be surprised by what you produce – and that’s the fun part. When you surprise and delight even yourself, rest assured readers will likely have the same experience.
 
Until next week, “write” on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom