Movie Review: The Descendants

I don't go to movies often anymore. I either don't have time or nothing seems worth the price of admission. This week, though, I was presented with time and a good movie. I went to see the new George Clooney film The Descendants, a rare adult drama worth the ticket price. Now if you're searching for an uplifting, fun ride, this film is not for you. It is not a popcorn flick by any means. This heartfelt story is about a husband on the eve of being left a widow as his comatose wife lay dying, and he now must rise to the occasion of being a hands-on Dad. He also unfortunately discovers his wife had taken a lover. This revelation obviously turns his world upside down and gives Clooney another vehicle to show off his acting skills. I suspect he might be up for yet another award for this one. The young actresses who play his daughters also deliver the emotional goods and give an organic, realistic and un-self-conscious performance. I particularly enjoy the somewhat stupid boyfriend who provides some comic relief and turns out to have a heart. Between the painful moments, the story provides numerous laughs over sometimes just the absurdities in life. I loved the film and give it four stars out of four. Definitely take some time out to go see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?