Your Cake and Eat too ... Oh, and the Muffins Taste Great Too!

Whenever I hear other writers (who still have day jobs) complain they don't have enough time to write their novel or non-fiction book, I will eagerly try to explain how they can get it done. Most of the time, though, if they already have mental barriers to what I'm saying, they don't listen. Instead, they'll give me a worthwhile list of all the reasons why they don't have time. So, I'm going to debunk your excuses here really fast. First, you should never attempt to give me your litany of reasons why you can't get something done -- ever! Why? Wait till you hear what I manage to get done and how. So to make your jaws collectively drop, here is what I'm working on: three books (each are in the writing stage too, which is the one that I'm most actively involved in), one children's book that is almost ready for production, blogs (two for me and one for my client), newsletters (one for me that is weekly and two for clients), another book that is almost ready to go on press, and another book in development. Now if your eyes aren't popping out yet, let me also explain my own book California Girl Chronicles is being actively promoted, and I'm promoting Silent Voices and doing updates to Mr. Date Night. AND I am about two chapters away from the completion of book two in the California Girl Chronicles series. I'm not telling you this to impress you. I'm telling you this to impress upon you that you can do whatever you set your mind to doing! So, if you think sharing with me the dozens of reasons why you cannot finish your novel will get me on board to support you ... um ... nope! Oh, and I forgot to tell you, I manage my family in between. Quit making excuses! Set your mind to it -- and get it done!! If I can do it so can you! And no, I'm not super human; I'm super committed!! Here are three ways to set aside to write your book (yes, even with a day job ... I wrote California Girl after hours).

#1 -- Set aside regular writing time either early in the morning or late in the evening. Commit and stick to it. That is your time!
#2 -- Set a goal to get so many pages written during this writing time and don't stop until you achieve that goal. My goal is typically a chapter. If a chapter runs long, I split it in half and write it over two nights.
#3 -- Join a writers group to hold you accountable to your goal or use social media. Tell everybody your goal and engender their support. You would be surprised how accountability motivates you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Can I Pick Your Brain?