On Keeping it Private ... I Agree with Mr. Skarsgard for Sure

I just read in Play magazine some of Alexander Skarsgard's comments on the need for privacy. In this social media saturated world we now live in, our every thought, craving or idiosyncrasy can be revealed to the world. You don't have to be a famous movie star interviewed in major magazines to tell the entire world your inner-most private world. You can blog about it, post it on Twitter or Facebook, or heck just write a newsletter and send it out. It's easy enough to reveal your privacy to the world in this technology era where instant gratification takes on a whole new meaning. Let me caution you, though. Do you really want the entire world to know everything about you, including what you ate for breakfast? Do you really want a prospective employer to see you dancing drunk on tables? Does that leave a good impression? Probably not! Here is the deal, you don't need to tell the world everything! Keep some of it for yourself. Enjoy that you can still have a private life. No one need know who you date, what you wear, and where you go. It's just not necessary! When I do interviews on my book California Girl Chronicles, I get asked about my private life all of the time. I do not share. First, I want the book to stand on its own and tell the story on its own without my interference or inference it has anything to do with my own experiences whether it does or not. I am not Brea. I've said that many, many times. I want people to take away their own experience of the story. Since it is erotic, I especially do not want men to mix up the two things -- reality vs. fantasy. Again, I am not my character. I also believe there is a dividing line between what I want to keep just for me and what I want out in the public forum on display for people to judge, criticize or comment on. It's really hard to stay grounded and knowledgable about who you really are in the world when so many other people are willing to tell you for you. I've read articles about articles I've written where I got called a Communist. A what? Yes, one of the most democratic people I know (me) got called a Communist from some random person who has never had a single conversation with me. I've had many speculations made about my company that were unfounded. So, you see. Once out of the bag all sorts of bizarre things can happen. So, I say, keep it to yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

New Book Release -- Better Dirty Than Done