Girl Power Rocks Hollywood

Tonight the new series Girls airs on HBO, and I will take time out of my busy work to take a look. This series follows young women (who think it's okay to be called "girls" is this post modern feminist world) as they struggle in New York City (a la Sex in the City with no budget for shoes) to establish their careers. These girls are not sexy, but more your average and perhaps not particularly attractive group. The main lead actress is slightly pudgy and definitely nothing to turn heads. From the trailer, she comes across as sardonic and sarcastic. I will watch the show with an open mind and see if I like it. This continues the season of the great flawed female characters, which my heroine in California Girl Chronicles falls into that category for sure. My young California Girl though is attractive and possibly not real, but she definitely faces real problems we can all relate to. I had a 19-year-old girl at the convention pick up the book and turn to page one and laugh. She showed her mom and continued giggling. She liked the book so much, she planted herself in the hallway and read a 1/3 of the way through. She then turned around and ordered book two right on the spot. So, I think we have a generation of young women looking for a heroine to follow. It will be interesting for the future of the work I'm doing on California Girl Chronicles, the pilot, to see how well Girls fairs in the ratings. We'll see ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

5 Great DIY Tips to Promote Your Book

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011