This is Why California Girl Chronicles is HOT! Sounds Terribly Self Promoting - Hire a Publicist! Make them Say It

I just did a response for Blog Stampede to promote my book California Girl Chronicles. The question was why hire a publicist and not do your own PR? Yes, I could do my own PR just fine since 3L Publishing provides those services, and we use Vocus to access all of North American media. Here is why I am not doing it on my own and I hired my staff member Justine Brown to do it for me. Because I immediately become uncomfortable telling the media it's my book and this is why it's hot ... Justine, on the other hand, has no vested emotional stake talking me and the book up. It's like when you're out with a friend. It's easier and more self-effacing to allow them to share your accomplishments than for you to brazenly tell the world.  You want to put your best foot forward, effortlessly and comfortably. Also, you don't want the appearance of amateur hour. Doing your own PR makes your product or book lose credibility. Now in the case where you're a general business person or author who has never done PR nor has the resources or knowledge to do it right, you make it even worse. If you don't know how to pitch and you don't have the proper tools to find the contacts you're spinning your wheels. If you have the contacts and you don't know how to write a press release or media kit -- again, you will lose credibility. Don't try this at home has meaning here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom