Thursday, October 6, 2011

An Expectation of Privacy for the Most Vulnerable

I am writing this in reaction to a fellow writer who changed her kid's names for her public writing. I want to praise her! I thought I was the only one who protected her children from the glare of the spotlight. It is a rule in my house that I do not discuss my family or children in public. While I do drop a few cute tidbits here and there, I firmly believe that the littlest members of my household have a right to privacy. First, we all know there are predators out there. My daughter, in particular, is very, very charismatic and beautiful. I don't want her photographed and out on display for unscrupulous people to see. Second, my children did not actively ask me to talk about them in public. It's one thing if I used social media for private use, but I use it professionally, which means I have connections to over 1,600 people most of whom I don't know. I also treat my children much the same in my newsletters and blog. I have no desire to exploit them or say something that while I might find harmless as an adult, they might not later on or it might somehow embarrass them (and God only knows what a kid can get embarrassed about). Remember, the Internet is like nuclear waste: it never goes away. While some of you might think I'm uptight, I don't care. The protection of the most vulnerable people in my life matters more. I have chosen a public life -- they have not. And until they do you won't be reading about them anytime soon.

3 comments:

  1. Wait till teen life hits. My daughter was 12 or so when she put her and a girl friend on YouTube one night while I was asleep! hahahaah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! While I do post pictures of my children, you will never see their names on my blog because you never know who might be watching. I am also very careful about disclosing our location outside of saying "Metro Atlanta" to keep the creeps away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is 13 and has his own iPad with a complete set of instructions from Michelle Inc. not to build a Facebook page or post stuff. In the instructions "book" it has a clause about violations and revoke of equipment. :)

    ReplyDelete