No Man to the "Bromance" Between Eric Northman and Bill Compton

If page views and reading interest are votes then it's safe to say that my First Word readers do not liking this whole "bromance" notion on the forthcoming Season 5 of True Blood. While Eric Northman's portrayer Alexander Skarsgard has been promoting his new movie Battleship, he's been perpetuating the "bromance" notion. I think he's probably messing with us a little and the storyline will likely center around the two southern vampires on the run from the Authority and forced to endure each other's company. I will say that if Alan Ball and company are paying any attention to the fans then they can't be completely oblivious to the fact that nobody wants to see an entire season without Eric and Sookie interaction. I also know the enthusiasm sorely lacks over the idea of putting Sookie together with Alcide, who some of the "bookies" think will blend the Quinn/Alcide characters.

Now here is my spin as your writer in residence. Most writers have their own favorites and their projects reflect that favoritism. I don't think Alan Ball and his crew of writers completely ignore what fans want to see. You don't have a top-rated show you earnestly torpedo just to torment fans into giving up and quitting the show. They are trying to create drama, tension and excitement to keep viewers hooked on their version of "show-crack". Fans that don't get some sort of "fix" give up and tune out. Ball is a smart guy. He's not going to seek audience "tune-out" just to tickle his own fancies. I've read so many fan sites where viewers are agonizing over potentially horrible future story lines. While I can't say the writing will always be at the level of my own preference, I can suggest with all intelligence, we're all going to get our payoff at some point. How exactly the payoff will come is what is in question. I haven't a doubt in the world that Eric Northman and Sookie Stackhouse will eventually find their way back to each other. Just like I have an overall map in my mind of my own book series (and soon-to-become TV series) California Girl Chronicles, I have no doubt that our savant storyteller has a similar idea in his own mind. So hang tight fans, you might get slightly annoyed along the way, it's going to be a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom