The Value of Social Media

Social media has exploded over the last 10 years. When I'm out speaking to groups or individuals, and I hear they are not using social media to its fullest or not at all,  I am always surprised. First, it's FREE. Why you would not use a valuable marketing tool that costs you nothing but time is a shocker. The benefits are numerous and if you focus on building up your connections and/or "followers," you will have direct outreach to potentially thousands of readers or viewers.

Here is why I think social media is important:

  • You reach your connections directly through the news feeds (on Facebook) and Tweets on Twitter.
  • You can customize or tailor your message.
  • You can create "buzz" around your company, product or service.
  • You also can reach into your "friends'" social media connections.
  • It is FREE and only costs you time. 
I hear common complaints that social media is a "time-suck vortex," meaning people end up spending too much time on it. If you find you can easily get sucked into the social media "chatter box" then discipline yourself. I try and go on tops three times a day: morning, noon and night. I prefer to stay off it in the middle of day as much as possible. I like morning the best. 

I started with 200 of my own connections on Facebook, and the 3,200 connections I have now came to me. I get asked how I attracted so many connections. I combined my public relations for my company 3L Publishing and my marketing efforts. The overall increased visibility and exposure from 3L books and publicity generated interest in connecting with me, and then it snowballed. And while some might not like the "idea" of this ... I also make sure I have an attractive and fun profile picture. I will be frank: I don't care if the opposite sex connects with me because I'm attractive. I care that maybe that instigated interest that led to an examination of my profile and then a potential business interest. My good friend and colleague Sonja Fisher understands this concept: use your "assets" to your advantage. My only caveat on this advice: don't exploit your "assets" ... that is a turn-off to business people

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom