Mid-Life Corporate Crisis

I've noticed an interesting trend among my women executive friends. Even those women who have had a great run in Corporate America seem to hit the 4-0 and suddenly something shifts. One gal I know loved her company and her job. She hit the mighty 40 and she slowly lost enthusiasm. It didn't help that she had a crazy boss show up and make her job less pleasant, but even with that issue resolved, her positive feelings about the daily grind waned. She seems to be one of yet hundreds of people I know that hit the forties and the zest for the job seems to get "zest-less." My friend became the restless tiger pacing the cage. It happened to me too. I literally celebrated my 40th birthday with a farewell and a hello to entrepreneur-land. I'm not sure what happens to us. We could blame bad bosses, but that's not the total reason. Maybe some of us realize that goals could never get realized. I used to think I would write all my novels in my forties, because I would finally have something to really say about a life that was at least half lived. So for me, part of it was looking at the timeline and realizing my dreams might go unfulfilled if I didn't do something about it. I mean when you're 40 how do you realistically put it off based on time? I'll do it in my fifties or sixties? What if I'm just tired by then? Or what if I just hit this point and regretfully never even try. The passage of time can slap us in the face and leave permanent wrinkles where skin isn't quite as resilient (and there's a metaphor in there somewhere). What I can say (if this helps anyone) is that if you have something you want to do, just do it. Don't be afraid. I did. I am now on my 5th year of business and we've consistently done well. We've definitely had our ups and downs, but even during this Great Recession, we've thrived. Last week was a book launch in Pittsburgh, followed by one here in Sacramento, and a third one in Las Vegas on Friday. Is that crazy or what. But you know I never imagined that my departure from corporate would land me in this spot, and I'm so grateful it did. So, if you need an extra hand and you want to leave corporate or a job, pick up a copy of my book Second Bloom: 10 Steps to Reinvent, Rejuvenate and Realize a New Life available on the 3L website under books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom