Just Because You think it ...

Whenever I network, I swear I always have some tale to tell about someone who says something so darned inappropriate it blows my hair back and curls it, too. What is wrong with people? Didn't their mothers teach them the old adage, "if you don't have something nice to say don't say it all?" Today's offense comes from a writer who had zero capability to put a censor between her brain and mouth. We're having a perfectly nice meeting with my group, and she suddenly says how she investigated the group, and thought "what a greedy lady" to bring in business by forming a writers' group. She got the "Michelle stare" for sure. This after I specifically launched the meeting by telling the group our mission: to educate writers about the competitive publishing business so they can make informed choices, and to give first and share always" (which is an eWomen mantra). Our meetings are either led by myself or by a speaker who we invite in to talk about the writing craft of the business aspects. I know I should be a duck and let it roll off, but I am just astounded by the audacity of anyone to come participate in a FREE group and call me a "greedy lady" even if she took it back and justified it with "I'm on painkillers." The bottom line: people form impressions of you. If you're on pain killers, basic rule: stay home. You have no business going out in public. First impressions count. Bad impressions count. And just because you think something (right or wrong or indifferent) doesn't mean you should say it, especially when you don't even know the person you're making the comment about. And that my readers is a big, just saying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom