Can You Believe ... Why yes I can!

So now I have to make fun of the "aging" ads on Facebook. Can you believe she's 80? How you can look 42... blah, blah, blah. I looked at today's picture and thought, "Yes, I do believe she's 80! With a really plastic-looking facelift." Now here is what is really bugging me about these ads. Facebook somewhere in my profile has determined these ads would work for me. So even though I have no interest in getting plastic surgery, every day I am subjected to various cosmetic enhancements advertisements along with the latest ones of the "men" who are "seniors" who would date me. Great! So even though I am nowhere near "senior" status, I apparently need plastic surgery and to date these great looking old guys. Is that all I'm supposed to care about on social media? Cosmetic surgery and dating old guys?

I assume Facebook has assumed I'm single since my status is blocked and no one knows if I'm single or in a relationship. And therefore as a "singleton" I'm "older," and I should make sure I maintain my looks artificially so the "older" guys will want me. Is that it? Love the real message in all of that. Do you think that social media advertises to men the other way around? I'm willing to bet not so much. And even deeper there is a societal message, too. You can't age gracefully. If you're over the age of 40 these days AND single, you surely must be senior, and therefore will want to date "senior" men. And there my friends is my rant for a Wednesday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

New Book Release -- Better Dirty Than Done