Writer's Block: How to Inspire the Uninspired

I used to not really believe in writer's block. I thought that was for wimpy writers who cried like pansies over doing what could hardly be called "work" (by my standards anyway). Oh, I was sanctimonious about it. Who could be blocked? Come on! It's writing. It's my favorite thing in the world. Then ... oh, then it happened! I got a bad case of it.

I've now come to redefine what "I" think writer's block really is ... a bad case of something we'll aptly describe as a combination of "I don't feel like it" and "I don't feel it."

The first descriptor is really better defined as apathy. Back in the day, I could barely muster a sentence let alone a whole novel. The second descriptor is related to inspiration and creativity -- and when both don't exist in the same brain, it's blocked. Inspiration turns into creativity when confronting the writer's process. But if you're not feeling inspired you're back to ... apathy. And apathy is "no bueno" when it comes down to actually writing. The phrase "I don't feel like it" inevitably turns into 10,000 reasons not to do it. "Not" doing something doesn't enhance inspiration or creativity -- and now we're swimming in circles.

A close friend of mine has been struggling with getting a project done. It's hard to be a persuasive and diligent publisher when you're also a writer (that's really my identity), and you've suffered the same problem. How to inspire the uninspired? You let me know when you figure that one out. In the meantime, I've turned into the worst publisher in history, coddling and sympathizing with my writer friend. "It's okay my writer friend. Turn that manuscript in when you feel like it or you don't feel it." See worst publisher ... EVER!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom