I'm Just Saying ... The Flip-Flop Debate

A very nice and high-profile gal was speaking at a networking event. She came up to me (we know each other) and asked if she could have my opinion. I looked at her and said, "I only give an opinion when asked." And those Friend-Os are good words of advice too -- only render personal opinions if it's invited otherwise you get into very dicey territorial. So, she asks, "What do you think about me speaking with the flip-flops on?" I now have cause to look down. What does she have on? Not just some cute pair of sassy flip-flops one could get away with in a pair of shorts. No, she has on some dirty (the dirt got me the worst) flip-flops that one should only wear while gardening or poolside. They were pretty dingy, so I would risk suggesting you only wear them in the garden. I was highly amused by the question from a gal who I know knows better, but yet still dared to ask. I think she was secretly hoping I would bless the dirty flip-flops. Being the consummate professional that I am, I very regretfully advised that while pain in the feet is a good excuse not to wear high heels, that those flips were definitely "flops" -- especially if she was going to be our sacred speaker. I also let her know that while most people aren't shallow enough to give a "flip" about her footwear there were always those few who secretly would be aghast and titter and gossip about it later on. I also warned that her choice of footwear at a professional event where image matters -- and most importantly matters if you're the speaker -- might end up fodder in my newsletter First Word. Well, now it's just fodder for the blog. A strong piece of advice. If you suspect your shoes will cause agony and discomfort, do not wear them. And don't ever replace them with your garden wear. I'm just saying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

New Book Release -- Better Dirty Than Done