Facing the Need for Change Can be Hardest Part - But Change is Good

I am constantly going through different phases of reinvention. I used to loathe change -- and a big part of me continues to resist it even when the outcome is so rewarding. Sometimes it's so hard to even get started. Change usually starts with the recognition that you need to do so; but even then facing the confrontation some changes require can instill fear and discomfort in you. The last six months have brought on some great changes for 3L -- and the results have been outstanding. Our client list is literally growing by the day, and while six months ago, this growth would have only left me exhausted and overworked, the changes have only expanded what I can manage.

I remember the first time I faced the uncomfortable reality that I would have to make these changes. The first time, I actually brought the words into my mouth and faced it, it actually felt like a relief. Because by facing the need for change meant that positive change would and could begin. And here's how it unfolded ...

First, I was completely overworked the second, third and fourth quarters of 2010. I barely had time to myself. I found myself in a position where I had zero support yet was trying to support others. I couldn't quietly vacation or take time off. I was being pulled in so many directions. I had to manage all of the company's many facets all the while financially flowing cash in a useless direction. Somewhere along the way, my family got it in their heads I was enjoying this. I was being labeled a work-alholic when what I really wanted was downtime before I burned out.

Facing what it would require to regain balance in my life was pretty uncomfortable. It meant staring something pretty ugly in the eye, calling it out on the carpet, dealing with it, and moving on. Well, all of those things happened. And when those actions took place, another shift happen. The Universe opened up. I found the resources I needed and the support. I hired a trusted colleague full-time and re-arranged our business plan.

And then the work expanded, because I was able to expand my very openness to the change. And even more remarkable, I have regained my work-life balance. How can that be? It seems counter intuitive with the expansion. But it's the word "expansion" that you have to understand. I expanded my capacity to manage my business and life by bringing in the proper resources and support system. As of last Friday for the first time in many, many months, I took off early. I quit at 4:00 p.m., something completely unheard of in the months prior. I spent an entire weekend with my kids and husband. I've been calling it quits every day right on time. I've had time to be alone. And get this -- we've got our strongest and biggest client roster ever. Our revenues are at an all-time high.

So, I say don't resist change. Change is good. Change is sometimes needed and necessary. Don't be afraid to make a change! If you would like to learn how, invest in a copy of my book Second Bloom available on the 3L website. It's under the books section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

5 Great DIY Tips to Promote Your Book

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011