- Caught like a deer in the headlights.
- White as a ghost.
- The sky's the limit.
- Happy as a lark.
Okay, I could continue with a list of ever-annoying cliches. Cliches don't do anything but show me as a reader the writer lacks imagination. If you have an inclination to use a cliche, turn it on its ear. Here are some funny ones I just made up:
- Whiter than a ghost dipped in flour.
- Caught like a deer admiring the headlights.
- The sky is only the limit if you can fly.
- Happy as a lark who just found a hot lark.
Any cliche can be freshened up, but don't use the standard cliche in your writing. It's tired, used up, and boring. Keep your writing unique, fresh and original -- don't use any cliches at all.