Top Three Networking No, No's

All right so I am a consummate networker -- and my fellow networkers never cease to amaze me. You would think that a course in manners might be mandatory for all networkers who don't want to show off their worst sides to prospective business. You would think common sense would prevail over some of the worst offenses. Yet for some reason people lack what should be an obvious skill to discern between proper and just ridiculous behavior when out in public. So for shits and giggles, I thought I would give you a little "snarky" advice on five things NOT to do when networking.

All-You-Can-Drink Buffet. You know getting drunk at a networking function probably is a bad idea, right? Um, yeah, well some of my fellow networkers don't get it. I know one gal in particular who is infamous for drinking an entire bottle of wine at networking functions. In fact, if there is only one bottle out, she will drink the whole thing. I suspect, she might have a tad, little problem there for sure; but here is the super bad news: everyone knows she does this on a regular basis. And if everyone knows you can bet most business people don't want to do business with an alcoholic ... just saying.

Crazy Running Commentary or Closed Caption. All right, we're listening to a speaker and this gal is narrating it. Yes, she is commenting and non-stop and short of "praise Jesus," she's non-stop saying random affirmations or just rambling in general. This little closed-caption commentary was non-stop. It was noticeable and then just annoying and finally just weird. She started to sound like one of those crazy people downtown who stand on street corners and talk to themselves. My recommendation: keep your mouth closed, listen and just nod if you agree. Why? Because most folks don't work with crazy.

"Hey baby what's your sign?" I don't know about you, but when I network I'm on business time. I'm marketing and doing business. I am not out to be hit on by the same person who drunk the entire wine bottle and then offers to give me the "private" tour of the back room. If you're using your networking circles to troll for your next date, I would advise you to stop. You won't get any business and most assuredly you won't get a date either.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom