Social Media: Today's Winning Marketing Tool

The last six months roughly 80 percent of my new business leads are coming from social media (Facebook). I began by accepting "friends" who were connected to  my other friends. I personally friended about 200 people way back in 2009. Since then I have build up 3700 connections off the 200 base. I get about 5-10 friend requests per day. I accept most, but if it's a foreigner with no connections I avoid those ones. A lot of those men only want a "bride catalog" and no way and no thank you.

It was a snowball effect in terms of the payoff. At first, I received the occasional query. Now I get anywhere from 1-2 solid leads from Facebook. I also get general questions from people who just need help. So what do you need to know about why I am getting steady interest? Here are my social media tips:

Be Authentic. People like to work with people they like. So whatever you're posting let it reflect your personality and the real you. Don't try to manipulate your image in a way that is disingenuous.

Be Authentic but Mind Your Boundaries. The entire world doesn't need to know your private life. Posting pictures of your body or commenting on your own body or even on other people's bodies is off-limits and in poor taste. Fighting with your friends or spouse online -- off-limits. Rude behavior and hateful comments -- off-limits. When people see that stuff they immediately get uncomfortable and discomfort doesn't attract business.

Just too strange. There is something to said about "vanilla" or being middle-of-the-road when it comes to your business. One extreme to the other can hurt business and destroy your brand image. If something pushes the bounds of good taste, ask yourself if you would show your mother. If the answer is "no" then don't post it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom