Of Fame and Promotion

Once in a while I open the door to my world and tell people about my adventures. Since I'm private overall, I don't really talk too much about where I've been, what I've done. Life is to be lived first and foremost. I don't get caught up in pretense. I recently got asked by a client, "Have you ever represented anyone famous?" I was startled by the question, because fame in many cases is of no consequence to me. I have always focused on the work.

Celebrities are people -- nothing more nothing less. If you've worked around celebrity you'll truly become even less impressed. I remember going to the ladies room when I was working on a project on the Paramount lot and Ellen Barkin came in to use the facility. I just remember pretty much glancing at her and not thinking too much about it. Later I kind of chuckled and thought, "Everyone has the same business to do." LOL I was there to work. So Ellen Barkin wandering into the bathroom was the least of my concerns.

Have I represented anyone famous? Yes, and I'm not going to name-drop. Even representing those with fame, the truth is that unless the media is interested it's a wash. I also learned that having a big name at a book launch is more distraction than enhancement for the sale of the product (in this case book). We had Sharon Stone at a book launch once, and you know what happened? The paps showed up, yes! Did it help actual book sales? No! Why? Because everyone was more interested in Sharon Stone as a figure than reviewing the book. I also had numerous celebrity endorsements of my book California Girl Chronicles. Did it help sales? Not that I ever noticed.

So what's the lesson here? Celebrity ... who cares. Keep your promotion focused on the product and the buying public. Can a celebrity endorsement hurt? No, but I wouldn't spend too much time or effort going after it either. If you have a great, fascinating, useful, clever or just riveting product, keep the attention where it belongs. If people are too busy checking out Sharon Stone's dress, they're not buying your book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

5 Great DIY Tips to Promote Your Book

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011