Publicist: do you know book promotion? I doubt you understand it. It's an entire profession. Seek a book publicist. It's the best investment you can make in your book. Your publicist will use media contacts and lists to promote your book to the book reviewer media.
Marketing tools: your publicist will need to either have created for you certain marketing and promotional tools. These tools are integral to success of your book. What basic tools do you need?
- Media kit but not just any media kit. Book media kits have certain materials contained within them. Your publicist should know what those materials should be.
- Website ... preferably a dynamic website that can be easily updated with news and events. No one can function in business anymore without a website. And that website should feature a blog. Many free blog sites exists including Blogger.
- Media relations strategy: each genre requires a specific media relations strategy for either national or regional media.
- Social media strategy: leverage free social media services, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Linked-In.
- Tie it all together: make sure whatever tools and strategies you use hook together and support and leverage each others' audiences.