The Worst Sales Technique I've Ever Seen

I think sales can be one of the most difficult parts of any company. I have recently received a spat of what I'm going to call "the-put-you-down" method to help "fix you". Any business owner who has been solicited with unwanted "put-downs" to get his/her business can relate to this story.

I once dated a very successful businessman. He was a nice looking older gentlemen. Now when I say "dated" it was only one date for breakfast. I'll now explain why it never got to lunch. This gentlemen proceeded to tell me sales techniques and how colors affect people's impressions of others. He talked about cool and warm colors. Without getting too much further into this story, he told me my blond tresses needed to be lighter (a cooler color would be best). I want to remind you this was a "first" date and I barely knew this man.

Later on he went onto my website and provided a critique of our shopping cart methodology. He called me (naturally) to explain why my shopping cart didn't work (for him).

You might call me too sensitive, but ultimately on a first date the gentlemen was ready to change my looks and my shopping cart. As you can guess, he wasn't given a second date.

Now I've used this experience to help sales people (or single people for that matter) avoid the pitfalls of the "put-down" sales. On an almost daily basis I receive emails from sales people who use this technique to try and win my business. It doesn't work. Telling someone what is wrong with their site (or their fashions) isn't going to persuade them to do business with you. It might work on the businessperson who feels insecure in some way. A highly successful businessperson will not be interested in your sales method (AKA "critique").

We all have room for improvement. We can always increase our business through meaningful suggestions. But benefits and value propositions are much more well received than telling someone "how bad their hair looks". Do you see my point? Always start with the good and then pitch how your product or service CAN ADD value to what exists.

If you would like to hire us to do marketing or public relations (without this technique employed), call us at 916-300-8012 or send email to info@3LPublishing.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom