Friday Morning Musing: Are You a Talker or a Doer?

It's Friday morning. I have my coffee, and I've got my Mac and my thoughts for you. A friend of mine was talking and said, "I love it that when you say you're going to do it, you do it." This statement begged the question, "Are you a doer or a talker?" And this leads to my cute story of the day.

I've known what I wanted to do almost my entire life. When I was in high school, I toted around a shoebox loaded with stories I wrote (OMG) in ink pen. A little side note: Remember those Bic ink pens with the clear-plastic on the outside so you could see the ink? They probably still sell them. When I wrote my stories, I wrote on unlined paper and I wrote in ink pen. About once every two weeks I had to toss my Bic pen because it was clean of ink. Friends marveled at the empty pen because they had never seen one before. The little tale should give you a good idea of how much writing was going on. Anyway, I had these "friends" (I use the term loosely because they weren't very nice to me). The boyfriend of the girl made fun of me and my passion. "You want to be a writer," was commonly said with a jeer. Years later I ran into the mean-spirited boyfriend, and he had to eat his words and nastiness.

Over the years, though, I've met many people who "talk" about their dreams and desires all the time but no results come from their chatter. I've even been asked the silly question, "Are you a real writer?"This question suggests I write in my diary versus professionally; but I think it comes from a lot of people who talk about doing or being something that in some people's minds is a big deal. Sometimes we romantically look at a big idea, and we think it's too hard or impossible. What I've found is you can't make a dream real if you don't do anything about it. No dream is too big if you put together a plan and take action. Talking about something endlessly or talking about it just to make it seem like you're doing something about it doesn't make it happen. So today's Friday musing is: if you can dream it, you have to do it.

If you like what I'm saying, keep your eye out. My new book Flying Lessons: How I learned to soar in life, love and business comes out in the spring. I am likely to sell it at a .99 cent eBook just to get the word out there and build interest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom