Common Mistakes Made by New Writers

New writers make common mistakes when they pitch their manuscripts. If you've had an occasion to actually get in front of a publisher then you better scramble and have your act together. My time is valuable. Publishers don't have time to sit and listen, so if you're fortunate enough to get that precious pitch time, take advantage and don't make these common mistakes.

Free, free and free -- and what's not in it for me. Some authors will call me just to "pick my brain" even though they have no intention of working with me. They will want me to help them write a query or proposal without any idea that it's an outrageous request. We do provide proposal-writing services not for FREE. I'm just saying. Not to mention a complete stranger asking me for "favors" is slightly ridiculous, too. I don't know you, remember?

Read my entire book -- another common blunder. Writers expect I am going to read their entire manuscript. I may read their entire sample chapter and the summary; but as far as reading an entire book, it's out of the question. I don't have nearly enough hours in the day to read entire books. The expectation and the request usually results in a bitter writer reaction when I say it's not possible. They often seem shocked by the no.

Weak chapter 1 -- another blooper. Writers who submit chapter 1 and then say, "It's my weakest chapter ..." Huh? Did you really put your worst foot forward? How does that make any sense? When you apply for a job, do you say I am a "weak" worker, but the rest of my effort will be great ... I hope! No, you put your best "self" forward to win the job, right? Never tell a publisher, "Well, my first chapter sucks!" LOL

What's your book about? I don't know. Isn't that the funniest pitch? And yes, I've had writers say that to me.  You need to have your pitch down in 25 words or less. You should be able to quickly and expressively tell me what your book is about. If you don't know then I suggest you start over and figure it out.

Ready to pitch your book? You can send your "fabulous" chapter 1 and book summary to info@3LPublishing.com or call 916-300-8012.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom