Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Rating: ****

Queen's music is the music of my generation. The songs reminded me of the days of sitting in the high school gym stomping to "We will rock you" during the pep rallies. I knew vaguely about some of the band's highlights, and so when the film starts and wraps on the iconic Live Aide concert, I wasn't surprised.

I took my daughter to see the movie a bit wary about home much sex she might be exposed to (she's a teenager), and I was pleased to see the movie makers treated it tastefully even though they could have been more specific. The kissing and party scenes were well done.

The movie focuses on Mercury's personal life and sexual demons showing his great flamboyance and dramatic flair while depicting his vulnerabilities and pain. His tearful announcement to the "love of his life" that he's bisexual broke my heart. You could see he loved her very much and was throughout his life devoted to her, but also it was easy to understand her desire for a family and the kind of romantic love she deserved.

Mercury's sensitivity is well acted by Joe Mazzello.  The pain about his talents, family and his father, and those people who use him for gain. The inner demons and conflicts showed all over Mazello's face. As a fellow artist, I understood those emotions quite well.

My favorite scene is of the "family" (the band) feuds. They were indeed a normal family in that way. Fighting and then forgiveness and great love for each other. I adore the scene where Mercury comes in late (again) and they fight yet get distracted by the riff that eventually goes in "Another one bites the dust". When it came straight down to it, the music and artistry cemented their "family" in such a great, productive way -- and we the audience got to enjoy the best of it.

Then we have the incredible music! I'm glad they didn't try to have another singer mimic Mercury, but instead gave us the original tracks. It was also perfect the way the movie ended on the full concert part of Live Aide -- it was mesmerizing and a wonderful bookend to the story. I was blown away, and I'm glad I saw it at an IMAX theater.

Don't miss this movie at the theater!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

Cats are Trending - Kitty Wisdom