Public Affairs -- The Choices We Make


Q: WHAT IS PUBLIC AFFAIRS ABOUT?
A: Public Affairs is an intergenerational story of true love, family, loyalty, tragedies, and overcoming the unthinkable. It's a story about the choices we make out of love and resilience. Readers will laugh and cry and not be able to put this book down.

Q: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE THIS BOOK?
A: When asked the question “what is family?” I get a variety of responses. One answer that has always intrigued me is kinship care. This refers to a family member or family friend that is raising a child that is not biologically theirs. As a mother, my journey started at a young age and I relied on my parents to help me raise my eldest son. It is through this model, in which I was able to accomplish earning my degrees and following my dreams. Pulling from my own personal experience, I was able to shape and tell a story through the eyes of the characters about how important family ties can remain strong when life brings you daunting circumstances.

Q: THIS IS YOUR SECOND BOOK; YOUR FIRST BOOK GRAINS OF TRUTH EXPLORED SIMILAR ISSUES LIKE SUCIDE. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO WRITE ABOUT THE TOPIC AGAIN?
A: Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States and 44, 965 Americans die by suicide each year. What is even more shocking is the age of suicide. In 2016, the highest suicide rate (19.72%) was among adults between 45 and 54 years of age. Knowing these staggering statistics, I wanted to bring awareness to an issue that is prevalent in our society today both nationally and internationally. I want people to use this as a means to open lines of communication so that people are aware of what to look for or how others may have coped when faced with this life event.

Q: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER AND WHY?
A: Honestly, I love each one of the characters in this book. My goal was to make each character unique and through their interactions, the reader can see how each character is able to grow and learn about themselves. But, if I had to pick one, it would have to be Minnie. Minnie is a strong, independent and nurturing woman. Her heart is very loyal, and she stays true to her roots. She raises her two granddaughters, Ella and Grace and shows them that they can be capable of doing anything. At the same time, Minnie has a sharp tongue, which keeps the other characters on their toes and the reader laughing.

Q: YOU HAVE A LOT OF HUMOR IN THE BOOK, WHY DID YOU ADD IT TO SUCH A SERIOUS TOPIC:
A: I love to tell stories, and I love to tell stories in a way so that the reader can escape their everyday lives. I use humor to deflect some of the underlying topics so that the reader can stay engaged while still understanding the seriousness of the subject. I believe that this stems from me wanting my readers to feel comfortable with the story. It is through my storytelling that I take my readers on an emotional rollercoaster with the characters.

Q: IF PUT IN HEROINE ELLA’S POSITION, WHAT WOULD YOU PERSONALLY DO?
A: I was faced with a heavy decision two years ago, and through this book I found a way to process my emotions and show to the reader how different characters may respond to disheartening circumstances. As I was writing this story, I wanted to tell the story in a way where I showed readers how individuals may respond to the same situation but in a multitude of ways. Ella is faced with a life-changing decision of the question when to apply Do Not Resuscitate (DNR). It is through the story, that I want the reader to decide for themselves, what would they do? How would they respond to this overwhelming circumstance? I didn’t want to tell them how I would respond to it, I want my readers to come up with their own personal choice.

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT READER’S TO TAKE AWAY FROM THIS BOOK?
A: In our lives, we share bonds with people that we will always stay connected to them no matter what. I want readers to reflect on those connections (friends or family) and think about if they were faced with a difficult decision, whom could they count on and why?

Q: WHERE CAN THE BOOK BE PURCHASED?
A: My publisher’s website at www.3LPublishing.com, Amazon, and eBook versions on Kindle, Nook and iBook. The print version retails for $19.95. The book releases nationwide on November 1, 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

5 Great DIY Tips to Promote Your Book

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011