Tips to Overcome Writer's Block

If you're struggling with getting your novel out of your head or even finishing it, here are some tips to get your fingers tapping on that keyboard again.

Just do it - sounds like a Nike commercial. Just do this... well, just putting something into action helps create what? A verb called doing! Even if you don't know what you're going to write, grab your cup of Joe, plant your bum in the chair, prepare your hands, and start typing. Just write whatever comes to mind. Let your imagination run wild. You will be surprised if all of a sudden all of that so-called random rambling turns into a real story!

Eight pages a day keeps your novel on its way - yes! Give yourself a page count goal. Stephen King has one - eight pages. He writes eight whole pages and then goes to do what he wants for the day. I'm sure he writes more if he's so inclined, but setting a goal is always good. So, set up your daily page count and make the goal before you move on. I personally write an entire chapter before I leave the keyboard. I like the beginning, middle and end (chapters all are mini-stories with beginnings, middles and ends).

Page count doesn't work for you then set a time of day. If you have a day job, which most of my readers have day jobs, then set a wake-up call for writing before work or an end-of-the-day time slot (maybe when the kids have gone to bed). I tend to write my novels in the evenings after I've served my 3L clients. However, I am the publisher so I give myself permission to write my own novels in-between client work. I do remind myself I am "working" and I am the boss of my own time. If I'm on a roll then I carve out some novel-writing time reserved just for my own book.

A writing coach gives you accountability - so hire me LOL! Sometimes you just need someone to ask you, "So... where is chapter 1?" I like to be gentle and nudge (after all you're paying me to help you not torture you). Accountability is something we all sometimes need. I also like to have my friends read chapters as I write them. When they start begging for more pages, it excites and inspires me to do more. A book coach though is a trained professional to help you keep your project moving forward and not stagnating. Also, if this is your first book, a writing coach can get the very best work out of you so you don't spin your wheels. Wouldn't it be cool to win an award on your first book? Well, my first book won a lot of awards. I can help your first book shine bright, too.

So there you go - four super useful tips to get that novel out of your head and onto paper!

If you would like to hire me to coach your book out of your head and onto the page, please send me an email at info@3LPublishing.com.

Comments

  1. I enjoy these ideas. I need to shake the cobwebs out, but I can see where a coach could help a lot. I would love to find out more when I am ready to get serious again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Step-by-Step Building Sexual Tension Between Characters

In Loving Memory -- John Andrew Gamble, 1962-2011

New Book Release -- Better Dirty Than Done